Carmi Lawrence, CPP CAS - Principal Consultant
Carmi is an accomplished and recognized Strategic Risk Management Advisor to corporate executives, political figures, and security professionals worldwide. Over the past 25 years, he has held security and investigations leadership roles with several global organizations.
Carmi came to Risk Protection Associates from Aeroshield Inc., a corporate intelligence firm that provides solutions to Aerospace, Aviation, Defense, and Government agencies across the globe. Serving as their Senior Director of Investigations and Risk Consulting, Carmi brought tremendous expertise and insight in areas of keen interest to Aeroshield clients – international investigations and due diligence, secure manufacturing environments, complex and sensitive personnel investigations, and government contract / regulatory compliance. Over the years, Carmi’s participation in the professional security community through ASIS International, FBI Infragard, and the Anti-Terrorism Accreditation Board serves as a testament to his commitment to the industry.
Prior to Aeroshield, Carmi worked at Amazon.com, where he managed investigations in the Americas as part of the Global Security Operation's Centralized Investigations Team. At Amazon, Carmi did pioneering work by helping to form the company's first investigation team focused on organized crime and external fraud rings by understanding the dynamics of fraud analytics within the vast data infrastructure of the world's largest internet marketplace. Carmi managed complex logistics-related loss prevention, cargo theft, customer fraud, internal and external fraud, collusion and organized crime investigations. In addition, he supported and partnered with U.S. Postal Inspectors & Special Agents, U.S. Secret Service Agents and other state, local and federal law enforcement agencies on criminal cases.
Prior to Amazon, Mr. Lawrence worked for the Ace Hardware Corporation, leading the company's global investigations and compliance team. In addition, Carmi supported the development of the company's Active Threat Response plan, and managed the development and enhancement of the company's C-TPAT (U.S. Customs - Trade Partnership Against Terrorism), FCPA (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) and Ethics and Compliance programs.
Prior to Ace Hardware, Carmi was the Managing Director of a Chicago-based global risk consulting firm. For 13 years, Carmi was responsible for the execution of a broad range of services designed to minimize risk exposure and control loss through delivering security consulting and investigative services for multinational corporations, businesses, law firms and corporate legal professionals, investment and commercial banks, and US and foreign governments.
Carmi has been tapped as a corporate security and investigations expert in the national media, including CNN, CNBC, WGN Morning News, Bloomberg Radio, Chicago Tribune, PI Magazine, FOX News.com, Forbes.com, and Worth Magazine. In addition, he has authored over a dozen journal and conference publications, including:
• "Cross-Border Investigations: The Ins & Outs of Investigating in Mexico"
• "Security 101: Smart Business Strategies in an Age of Terrorism"
• "Organic Security Concepts"
• "Corporate Security Threats in a Down Economy,"
• "Identity Theft in the Workplace and Personal Security"
Additionally, over the past decade, Carmi accomplished the following notable achievements:
• Conducted Anti-Terrorism and Security Awareness training for 14 sovereign consulates.
• Through skillful interviewing, obtained a full confession from a manager who embezzled $275,000.
• Created, pioneered, and trademarked the concept of "Organic Security" and was invited to present the concept at the ASIS International Conference on Emerging Security Practice and trends.
• Conducted and managed security compliance audits and investigative assignments in countries throughout Latin America, China, Southeast Asia and the Middle East.
• Planned and led more than 500 corporate risk assessments, employee misconduct investigations, due diligence investigations, and similar activities.
Carmi has served as a Vice Chairman and Chairman for the ASIS International Chicago-North Shore Chapter, and serves as a Security Coordinator for several area Synagogues, Jewish schools and charitable organizations.
Carmi received his Bachelors of Science Degree in Security Management from Loyola University of Chicago, is fluent in the Spanish language and has lived and worked in Latin America.